Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Work of the Son

Today's Reflections

 

 

 

The Work of the Son

 


Jn 5:17-30

17Jesus answered [the Jews], “My Father is at work until now, so I am at work.” 18Forthis reason the Jews tried all the more to kill him, because he notonly broke the sabbath but he also called God his own father, makinghimself equal to God.

19Jesus answered and said tothem, “Amen, amen, I say to you, a son cannot do anything on his own,but only what he sees his father doing; for what he does, his son willdo also. 20For the Father loves his Son and shows himeverything that he himself does, and he will show him greater worksthan these, so that you may be amazed. 21For just as the Father raises the dead and gives life, so also does the Son give life to whomever he wishes. 22Nor does the Father judge anyone, but he has given all judgment to his Son, 23sothat all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Whoever doesnot honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him. 24Amen,amen, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes in the one whosent me has eternal life and will not come to condemnation, but haspassed from death to life. 25Amen, amen, I say to you, thehour is coming and is now here when the dead will hear the voice of theSon of God, and those who hear will live. 26For just as the Father has life in himself, so also he gave to his Son the possession of life in himself. 27And he gave him power to exercise judgment, because he is the Son of Man. 28Do not be amazed at this, because the hour is coming in which all who are in the tombs will hear his voice 29andwill come out, those who have done good deeds to the resurrection oflife, but those who have done wicked deeds to the resurrection ofcondemnation.
30“I cannot do anything onmy own; I judge as I hear, and my judgment is just, because I do notseek my own will but the will of the one who sent me.”

 
Reflection:
 
I AM AT WORK.The Jews try to kill Jesus because he calls God his own Father, makinghimself equal to God. Jesus explains his relationship with the Father.He is one with the Father in the work of saving mankind. He is the onlyway to the Father. He reveals who the Father is.

Jesur works and acts in accordance withthe will of the Father. This refers, first of all, to the work ofgiving life. The Father wants us to have the fullness of life. Jesusgives his life so that we may have eternal life.

Pray: “Lord, please help me believe
that nothing will happen today
that you and I, together, will not be able to handle.”